Episode 15: Tony Bennett, Salmon Patties, and Fridge Worms: How to Use Meaningful Activities to Maintain Function in Persons with Dementia – Make Dementia Your B*tch!
Well-meaning family and formal caregivers sometimes start to "overdo" for persons living with dementia. "I don't want her to get hurt" or "I don't want him to feel embarrassed" or "It is just so much easier if I do (fill in the blank)." What people do not realize is that once a person with dementia forgets how to do an activity or task, he or she is rarely able to relearn it. There just aren't enough nerve cells and brain chemicals to knit together a new memory. People with dementia are vibrant, wonderful people…who happen to have a little, or maybe a lot, of forgetfulness. Here's the thing…the drive, the search for meaning, the desire for affection, the desire to be HEARD…remain. What changes is that the OUTLETS for the expression of these important desires and drives get cut off by the dementia…regardless of the type. The loss of these outlets create anger, frustration, irritability and other behaviors. Sensitive and meaningful interactions with others can reduce the isolation felt by people with dementia. Learn how to adapt previous hobbies and activities so that the person living with dementia can still have positive outlets while maintaining optimum function! Are you struggling with dementia behaviors? I can help!! I also provide webinars and on-site training to groups! Check out my offerings: https://dementiacentricsolutions.com/caregiver-coaching/ — This episode is sponsored by · Anchor: The easiest way to make a podcast. https://anchor.fm/app — Send in a voice message: https://anchor.fm/rita-a-jablonski/message
- Episode 15: Tony Bennett, Salmon Patties, and Fridge Worms: How to Use Meaningful Activities to Maintain Function in Persons with Dementia
- Episode 14: What Causes Irritability in Persons Living with Dementia?
- Episode 13: Crash Course in Dementia-Friendly Communication
- Episode 12: Dementia Cures are Horsecrap: Reversible Causes of Memory Problems
- Episode 11: Preventing Pee and Poop Accidents in Dementia
- Episode 10: How to Stop a Person with Dementia from Peeing in the Trashcan
- Episode 9: Dementia & Poop or How to Avoid Accidents and Feces Smearing
- Episode 8: Entering Their Reality
- Episode 7: Do I Tell a Person with Dementia That They Have Dementia?
- Episode 5:Bladder Infections Look Different in Dementia Land