Blog Outline of Topics hide
Helpful Ways to Prevent Dementia in Yourself
- Alzheimer’s Disease
- Vascular Dementia
- Lewy Body Dementia
- Parkinson’s Disease Dementia
- Frontal-temporal Dementia
Crash Course for Dementia Care Partners
Dementia Basics…When the Memory Loss Starts
- Repetition…Questions Over and Over
- Mixed-up memories and “Tall Tales”
- Accidental Triggers/Caregiver Vibes
- Crankiness Irritability
- Entering Dementia Land
- Is it OK to lie?
As the Dementia Becomes Worse
- To Drive or Not to Drive?
- No More Driving
- Decision-Making and Dementia
- Can a person with dementia make safe decisions?
- Is it a good idea to explain to someone with dementia that they have dementia? No!
- What to do when people with dementia cannot eat
- How to get a person with dementia drink more water
- Bladder infections make behavior worse
- Importance of avoiding constipation
Care-Refusals and Uncooperative Behavior
- Fear as the root of refusals
- Preventing Care Resistant Behaviors
- Handling Care Resistance in Real Time
- Avoiding the dreaded “NO!”
- Refusals: Dressing
- Refusals: Bathing
- Refusals: Medication
Difficult or Unusual Caregiving Situations
- Disasters and Dementia
- Sundowning myths and management
- Delusions, Hallucinations, Illusions
- How to tell the difference between hallucinations and illusions
- When People with Dementia Think Their Reflection is a Stranger
- Unwanted sexual advances
Living Life to the Fullest
- Vacations and travel
- Maximizing abilities
- Importance of meaningful activities
- Respite care as an option
Placement & Paid Caregiving
- Is it time for placement?
- Should I hire from an agency or find someone myself?
- 5 critical questions to ask about a memory care unit
- Nursing home versus assisted living
- How often to visit someone in memory care?